Knowing that your child got or getting molested is any parent's biggest nightmare. Every parent obviously does their best to make sure that their child is safe wherever they are. Parents from dysfunctional families are not very conscious about everything that's going on in their lives because of mental health, relationship, and other issues already making life a burden.
Abuse in childhood can be very traumatic. Children are physically and intellectually powerless in saving themselves from bad adults. Childhood trauma is not just a bad event but a wound for the life that can be forgotten by the brain but its imprints can remain for a lifetime in one's personality and health.
Here I am sharing some steps that anyone including parents from dysfunctional families can refer to every now and then to make sure that they are conscious about this issue.
- Be careful while deciding the daycare you want your child to stay, especially if you are a first-time parent. Meet the staff members and observe their body language. Observe the kids already staying there before you came and try to meet their parents. Make sure to do this outside the school premises privately and get their feedback. You can also talk to kids and try to know how comfortable they feel there.
- After joining when your child starts going there make sure you spend some alone quality time with her every day and try to know about her feelings and emotions or whatever she wants to share. Just remember that kids want to share a lot of things with you every day for that need a lot of love and patience.
- Look at your child's body carefully while bathing her. If you see any bruises or cuts or any painful areas, inquire about it from the child privately. Also, observe any changes in your kid's behavior. The separation anxiety is normal for a few days but if the child is frightened every day before going there and seems depressed or anxious when at home then there may be something wrong. Provide a peaceful and loving atmosphere to the kid at home and then if such behavior persists then it indicates that there are issues either at home or in daycare. Talking to your child can help to know what's going on and then the required steps can be taken.
- You should be careful in complying with rules and regulations of school and daycare representing themselves as cooperative parents and build up a good rapport with authority and staff because it build-up will help in easily sorting out if any issues are met in the future concerning the child.
- In case the child abuse is done by the child-care staff, necessary action should be taken. If the abuse is mild (emotional)then meet the principal and try to sort out the issue by asking them to take necessary actions at their end. If the abuse is severe(physical or sexual) then immediately call the police and file a case. Also, collect gather support from other parents.
With the above tips, you can make sure that your child is safe when away from you and you can not only save your child from life-altering trauma but also you can fully focus on your work or whatever duties you are performing at that time.
Connect with me on Facebook for more such blogs and memes